Australian owner builders




What you need to know – Vic


Victorian laws for Owner Builders are designed to protect and support Owner Building.

It is important you become familiar with your obligations as an Owner Builder. Must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $12,000.

May only obtain building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property in any three-year period;

Must reside and continue to reside, or intend to reside in the single dwelling.


In order to obtain a Certificate of Consent, Owner Builders must:

  • Read an information and education kit and sign the statutory declaration.
  • Complete an application form.
  • Send the statutory declaration, application form, application fee and any supporting documentation to the Building Practitioners Board.


Want to know more: